Saturday, May 3, 2008

Virgina Bennett Wells and Rulon Seymor Wells III

In the midst of all the birthday excitement of the week, comes some sad news. Jim's Grandma died on Friday May 2. She was 90 years old and had a wonderful life. She got baptised into the church about a month ago and it was so cool to get to see the changes in her life. She was a great woman. She grew up in Leroy, New York, which she was quit proud to tell you, was the city where Jello was invented. We will miss seeing her at Sunday dinners. But this sad story has a bitter sweet ending.

On Saturday Jim's grandpa died. Virgina's husband. He was 88 years old. They had been married 63 years! While I can't say Grandpa knew that Grandma had died (he's had dementia for about 3 years and doesn't really make sense to any of us) I feel like he must have known. He has had bad health for awhile but nothing serious until Grandma died.

Rulon was born and raised here in Utah. He graduate from college at 21 years old and graduate with his doctrine at 22 years old from Harvard. He became a philosophy professor at Yale when he was 25 years old. He was an amazing person. He was honored in 1989 with the highest honors for a Yale professor. He was a the president of the American Linguistics Society and spoke (i think) 4 languages fluently. He was the smartest man I have ever known.

While my heart breaks for Jim's father, Sy, I can't help but think how sweet it is that they are in heaven together. I guess having been with each other for over 2/3 of their lives, it seems fair that they be together so soon. We will miss them both and can't wait to be together again.

0 comments: