Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Breaking Dawn

Friday night Nance, Tressa and some other friends went to the Breaking Dawn party! It was so fun and Liz won the costume party as Victoria! Lucky girl, got to go to the front of the line! But we ended up getting our books early because of her, so no complaints!

We ran into a lot of old friends there! It was fun to see so many people!

Us with our books! And it was only 1:30!

Now, if you haven't read the book and don't want any spoilers, don't leave a comment on this post! But if you have, what did you think? I loved the way it ended but I am only so-so about the rest of the book. I'm not sure I liked it as much as the other 3! Maybe I should have reread the last one to get reacquainted again. But what did you think?

8 comments:

Brandi said...

I feel the same way you do... I loved the ending, but the rest was... I don't know. I had a really hard time with the first half, its like when your favorite TV couple FINALLY gets together, and you are so happy for them, but then they are together and it's just not the same. I'll post about my Breaking dawn party experience soon :)

Truthislight said...

Yippie and Hurray for Breaking Dawn! I am completely aware of my Twilight-nerdhood, so let's get that out there first. Anyway, here goes:
Great plot events, less enthralling to read over all. I thought it was slower in more places than the other books, but somehow managed to fit more twists in along the way. Sounds conflicting but that's what I thought. Plus, I DEMAND a big fight over Edward's reaction to the pregnancy. Why did that part never come? Anyone? I was PISSED at him. Never wanted to speak to him again. (Ha ha, by the way, I really was joking about that remark- I'll always speak to Edward. Kidding again, lighten up.) Anyway the author needs to go back in time and work that in. Or maybe it was there and I missed it, in all my sleep-deprived splendor. But after the baby (who's name I hated, by the way) was born, there wasn't enough emphasis on Bella & Edward's mutual love obsession, like there was in the other books. I missed their lovey-dovey relationship. Like in the first three books I adored the way she'd still constantly refer to his "too-perfect face" etc, no matter how long they'd been together. (Unrelated: Matt wants me to tell you you're a whore, Kate. Meant with love, I'm sure.)
I about lost it when she got pregnant- could have cried, I'm that retarded. Wonderful, wonderful, amazing. Then he became Satan in the flesh... (or, marble?) and wanted to... well, you know. Ruined everything. Also I decided it was beyond great that Jacob imprinted on Renesmee, though it took some time for me to get there. A little shocked at first. I read the book aloud with Kiersty and Anna and we predicted lots of what happened, and it was so fun analyzing along the way. I was looking forward to a huge brawl with the Volturis, but what can ya do... There were quite a few lulls in this book where I just wanted to get back into some excitement, but it came together eventually. Over all, I love that she (Meyer) wrapped everything up so beautifully, despite the non-Volturi-bloodbath. I was sure she couldn't possibly end it in a way that made me happy, but it worked. Looking back I think I liked Eclipse, then Twilight, then Breaking Dawn, then New Moon. New Moon was a REALLY GREAT book- I think I loved her incredible descriptions the best in New Moon, but it hurt so much emotionally that I couldn't stand to read it again, even when I reread the others. (Won't admit how many times I did that- it's beyond embarrassing.) Anyway, now that I've written a novel of my own here on your blog, I'll quit. For further discussion, do email me. Can't get enough, of course. (P.S.- it's watkins.dk@gmail.com for anyone else who cares. Don't care who you are; I'd love to discuss it with you. Better to avoid the chat rooms, I might never come out if I find one.) Love ya!
DK (the loser. Yes, I know it.)

The Paulks said...

I didn't read the comments! I'm so jealous, I don't have the book yet. I'm hoping to get it tomorrow, but I know I won't put it down once I start, so I need to set aside a few days! Nice job on getting to the front of the line....

Katey said...

Wow- Thanks for the novel, DK!!;o) Here's mine! Anyways, I HATED that Jacob imprinted on Rensemee! The whole point of imprinting is make a strong Werewolf for the next generation! Furth more, I don't think Renesmee should have been in the book at all. Meyers said over and over again that Vampires can't have babies. And then finds a way for Bella and Edward to have one so that they can experience children? It just went against everything that she said in the last 3 books. I was mad about Edwards reaction too. I also didn't feel like Edwards and Bella's relationship was strong enough in this book! The last 3 they were obsessed with each other, this one just mildly into each other. Then she (meyers) has this nice build up to the fight, and nothing happens. Not that I wanted people to die like in Harry potter, but SOMETHING should have happened. I am glad that they are together and have a child, I just wished that Meyers hadn't deviated from the 3 others so much. I was overall, extremely disappointed! I don't even really know why. Just wasn't even half as good as the first 3 books. I was pretty disappointed.



Anyone else have an opinion?

Rachelle said...

I actually really liked it. It kept me guessing along the way. I was a little wary about the first 250 pgs or so since it was quite, shall we say, intimate. :) But I loved that they were able to have a child and did like that Jacob imprinted on Renesmee. Although it did take some getting used too. I still got the feeling that Edward and Bella were still madly and deeply in love, Stephanie didnt just focus on that as much. Anyway...LOVED it!

Unknown said...

I have heard so much about that book. I guess I should get into reading a little more.

Sabrina said...

Okay I'm finally done with the book so I can post.

I totally feel like Edward and Bella are still obsessed with each other. Hello, every night, all night they get down to business. I just think Meyer deviated a different way in showing their relationship than in the other books. Kind of made me sad about how much they talked about doing it because I know that a lot of young girls read these books and I'm sure some moms won't let them read them now. :(

I loved the 1st two sections but the last one was BORING. I was so upset that when the Volturi was there and there was no fight. Really dissapointing. In my mind it was almost like they had won. I also think I had way too much anticipation for the ending of this that it just kind of flopped kind of like when Xmas is over. But that was my own fault. I'll have to read this book again and maybe I'll appreciate the end more just like I totally loved New Moon the second time around.

I was glad Bella had a baby because I think that is why I really wanted her to give Jacob a chance because I thought she would regret that. Also I was totally creeped out by Jacob imprinting but as it went on I was fine with it because he cared for so much. I loved Edward's comments about Jacob's thoughts when he found out she would be full grown in 6 1/2 years. If I had any doubt Jacob didn't really love her that finalized it.

Oh, I was bugged that there wasn't much of a love triangle in the beginning of the book (I really wanted that). Also hated that Jacob said in Eclipse he would fight for Bella until he couldn't fight no more and then runs away at the end of Eclips and doesn't come back till the wedding. Some fight that was.

Okay I've commented way to much.

It's just Barb said...

Wow Katey, I am relieved to see that there are more Twilight nerds than just me!

I liked the book, but loved the others more.

I thought Jacob imprinting on Renesmee was disturbing until I found out that she would grow up so fast. I loved the fact that he could still have a connection with Bella since they obviously have strong feelings for each other.

I hated the fact that they seemed to just accept the fact that all the visiting vampires were out committing murder and it was okay because they were saving one soul-Renesmee. And by the way I hate that name.

I'm just excited for the movie now. It should be great.

This time I want to join your party for the midnight movie opening though. It looks like you had fun!