Last night Jim and I were able to go to the 1st presidency Christmas devotional with my mom and dad. We have been able to go every year since I was 12. It is when the Christmas season actually starts for me.
I love that the conference center will be so loud, as loud as a concert and then as soon as the Prophet walks in, it's instantly quiet. You can hear a person cough that is in the balcony. It's amazing.
Then we sing 'Joy to the World' It's so beautiful with everyone singing. It's loud and beautiful.
The opening prayer made me cry. I have not been in the Christmas spirit this year. I have been sad and worried about the people I love and missing the ones that aren't here.
I have been worried about my husband and his business. We have been so blessed with work but how much longer can it go on, in this economy? I worry about my dad and brother that are in the same business. And my friends and their families that are in the same business.
I am missing Jake and Trish and the girls.
And Matt and DK and the boys. DK is pregnant and I can't even see her belly.
I miss Josh and his family.
I have been sad.
Then the opening pray was said. It was said just for me. And others who feel the way I do. He blessed that we will remember Jesus in this season.
But he blessed that we may be HAPPY. I started crying when he said this. It was for me. And I was so filled with the spirit. And I was happy. He blessed that we remember the reasons we have to be happy. Instead of the reasons to not be happy.
Because God loves me. And will take care of me and my family. He will bless those that believe in him. And those that don't. Because he loves all of us.
I don't know why I feel that I need to share this other than, maybe their are others that feel this way. Worried. What does the future hold? We don't know and can't know. But no matter what, we have so many reasons to be happy. If you think of the things that are making you worried/sad then that's what we dwell on. It's our choice.
So here's my choice. I am going to be happy.
And stop worrying.
We are as prepared as we can be. We have food storage. 72 hour kits. But most of all, we have our families.
And that is all that matters to me.
I love Christmas time. I love teaching my children about Christ and his life. I love teaching them that Christmas is his birthday (and not about Santa). I love the colors and the smells. I love the trees and lights. I love the traditions and being with family.
I love Christ. He is my role model. I am so far from being like him. I have my challenges and I have my trails. But I strive to live like him. I am thankful for the gospel and that I know what Christmas is really about.
So, Joy to the world, the Lord is come!
Let earth receive her King;
Let every heart prepare Him room,
And heaven and nature sing,
And heaven and nature sing,
And heaven, and heaven, and nature sing.
Mom and dad at Temple Square after the devotional.
Monday, December 8, 2008
Joy to the world
Posted by Katey at 7:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







4 comments:
I think yo posted that for me. I am bawling. Thank you! and I love you!
Thank you for posting that. I'm right there with you. Thank you for reminding me to focus on the many blessing that I do have an not the trials we are faced with. You are awesome. So Saturday is the day! We picked a great one. Nothing like moving from St. George in nice weather to Layton where it will be be snowing;)
Thanks so much for sharing! I watched the devotional at home and was so touched by the talks etc also. It is true, we have so much to be grateful for.
Thank you Katie. You've really got it figured out. Thank heaven we know the truth!! Miss you guys.
Lots of love,
DK
P.S.- I'll post a pic of my belly for you.
Post a Comment