Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Help me please...

Here's the problem. I have a 5 year old and a 2 1/2 year old. And I get NO sleep anymore! I need suggestion of things that have helped with your kids.

Ty. I love the kid, yet want to strangle his every night for the last month. It usually starts at 2am with 'Mom, I need a drink'. OK, can do. Then he gives me enough time to go back to sleep. Then it's, 'Mom, I need to go potty'. Seriously?... It gets worse. Then it's 'Mom, I need a fruit snack', or 'I need you'...

I can't take it anymore. I am awake every night from 2-5. It can't be healthy. I can't shut his door because he is MAJORLY scared of monsters and ghost right now, so it's to mean to do that (plus, he would stay up all night banging on the door keeping EVERYONE awake).

Recently, I have been giving him a drink and making him go potty at the same time, but won't give into any of his other demands. But it doesn't help.

SO PLEASE, have any of you gone through this? What did you do?

I'm going a tad bit crazy here and need any and all suggestion. Thank you very much.

5 comments:

sully said...

Before bed fill a "sippy cup" half full of water and put it next to his bed. Next get a night light for the hallway and bathroom. Then when he says he wants you, ask what he needs. If its important deal with it, if not, tell him you will handle it in the morning. BUT first figure out why HE isn't sleeping through the night. It might be time to end the naps! It is easier to deal with a cranky kid in the afternoon then in the middle of the night.- good luck:)

Swain Family said...

Just to warn you first, I am the meanest mom in the whole world! ;) But my advice to you is... stop being so nice! Not having a drink at in the middle of the night will not kill him, if he cries, he cries, but he will get over it! (I know, you don't sleep when they cry either! But that will stop too, I promise!) And if he goes to the bathroom before bed and doesn't have anything else to drink, he should start making it through the night! Cutting out drinks about an hour before bed helps too! (The night light is a good idea too, just in case!) But STOP giving in! He calls you, because you come! He asks, because you will do it! They are smart little people, don't let them win! lol! Good luck!! (I warned you, I am mean! lol!)

The Anders said...

All of the above. We've never had issues with Kalli(5). She has never wet the bed, always has a water bottle by her bed, and still naps occasionally. Megan(3)...complete opposite. She used to play 'games' with me at night because she knew she could get away with it. If she has water before bed, she wets the bed. Sucks! Tough love, a SIP of water before bed, and fewer naps have helped a ton. Good luck.

Lindemans said...

We started doing a sticker chart with Avery. I just made one on my computer, printed it with 10 days and every night she sleeps in her own bed all night she gets a sticker, then when she has 10 stickers, she gets a cool prize. The first time it was a container of mini M&M's and today she earned a princess Belle dress-up. She started a new chart tonight. It works good. I also don't let her drink water at night because I don't want her to pee the bed but I do let her have a sip right before she goes to bed. Hope this is helpful. Good luck! I feel your pain!

Kris said...

You can also get a colorful water spray bottle and tell ty that it has special powers to keep the monsters and ghosts away. help him spray some "magical powers" aka water in the closet, under the bed, where ever he thinks the monsters are, so he won't be scared all the time either and the ideas above are really good too....let him know YOU are in control......either that or you could drug him with benadryl at night.....kidding!!!!