
Just wanted to say THANKS to everyone for the emails, comments and calls! Lexi is so brave and doing so well. I haven't called everyone back, so if you called, I may get around to it today!
Here are some photos of Lexi in the hospital. They are terrible because they are from a cell phone and in bad light.
We took a glove and blew it up, like a balloon, and put eyes and glasses on it. Like Chicken Little. If your ever in a similar situation and the nurses are telling you distract the kid and calm them down, remember this! It worked great :-)
Dad with Chicken little, before we remembered the glasses.
YAY! We are out of here. It's amazing that once her arm couldn't move (from the splint) that she could laugh and smile. 
She keeps talking about how she is going to get a hot pink cast just like mommy had when she was 5. And she broke the same arm. In the same place. The same way. Weird, right? We go into the Orthopedic on Tuesday for the cast. So I will post pics of that then! Thanks again!
*sorry, on the last post, I had kinda lost it! I was overwhelmed and tired. I am fine, and she is fine and it's really not that bad :-). And Ty didn't deliberately break her arm. He pushed her and she feel. So I really shouldn't put the whole blame on him. We love you Ty!
Oh and has anyone else had a child break an arm? I need suggestions on how to keep her occupied. It was her right arm and she is right handed. No more coloring!
And also, how do you dress them? I feel like I am going to have to cut all of her shirts to get them over her HUGE cast. It goes from her armpit down to her finger tips!
And showering?!?! How am I suppose to clean her and yet keep the cast '100% dry' like the Dr. said, so her skin doesn't rot(isn't that the worst thing to tell a mother? If you get her arm wet, her skin will rot? totally freak me out!)?
Since I didn't think of any of these things until today, I am sure I will have more issues. Like going potty? Oh man. Any and all suggestion will be very much appreciated!
Friday, October 17, 2008
thanks...
Posted by Katey at 11:49 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







10 comments:
Kaeley colored lexi a picture because she feels bad she got hurt. we'll have to get together so she can get it.
my brother broke his entire leg once, when he was like 12 so my mom had to bathe him (quite embarrassing for him) and she would wrap his entire leg in a plastic bag and taped it up.
When I broke my arm we would put a bread bag around the cast with a rubber band at the top when I showered. It worked like a charm and my arm didn't rot... although there was a dime stuck to my skin that I had slid down my cast a few weeks prior...
When Ryan had his cast, granted he was a tiny baby, we just sponge bathed him. Oh, but how to wash her hair, I have no idea. Sorry. I am sooo helpful. lol!
Key Katey
It's me the expert on broken arms since I lived in casts for the first 11 years of my life and have been in them the last four years of my life.....anyways, to wash her hair you can use the kitchen sink if you have one of those spray thingies or if the shower has a detachable hose that you can use, that really helps, you may have to have Jim go get one to attach to the shower.....as for going potty, you are gonna have to help her unless she finds she can do it herself, trust me, my mom still has to help me when I have casts and stuff, not fun but she's my mom.....let her explore how to hold crayons and stuff with her fingers or to use her left hand, I learned how to do that...don't stress too much, little kids figure things out eventually, I turned cartwheels a couple hours after I had had surgery on BOTH arms (I was like 4 at the time....) kids are very resilient. Let her see if she wants to try things on her own or help her or do it for her.....hope that helps. Sorry she broke her arm, I really can feel for her!
love ya
Kristen
Lexi is so petite I figure she'll be pretty easy to wrap and bathe, but I say that now just cursing myself I'll have a kid with more broken bones than ever!!
Katie that is so sad! It brings back some all too horrible memories for me of Blake's accident. It is amazing as mother's the strength we can find in situations like that. I wasn't so strong, good thing your brother was at the hopital with us or I would have been a pancake on the floor;) All I know how to take care of is broken legs. The only way I could bathe Blake was a sponge bath, the only way he could go potty is with my help because he couldn't walk on it for 3 months. They become extremely dependant on you all over again, but once it stops hurting they are pretty quick to figure out how to work around the problem. Tell Lexi we are sorry she got hurt and hope she feels better.
Sad. I'm sorry she and you are going through this. Not fun. If you need to borrow some Barbie/Pony/or Princess movies, let me know. I bet she will get better with her left hand and be coloring, dancing, riding bikes and all the other fun stuff that four-year-olds do soon enough. Until then, good luck!
I don't know much, but if she's getting another cast...beg and plead for a waterproof one and maybe that will make things easier. And maybe she could wear t-shirts a little too big that have bigger armholes, but then I'm a nerd with NO fashion sense.
So sorry about Lexi's arm! I can totally relate to the panic of knowing you're stuck in that cast and can't get it off! Give her a hug for me!
Post a Comment